Saturday, January 21, 2012

Highlights from Excursion #1

As I mentioned in the previous blog post, I went to Wayanad from Wednesday to Sunday. On Sunday night I left Wayanad and went to Karnataka, India’s eighth largest state. Karnataka is home to Mysore city.  Here are the highlights from my stay in Wayanad and Mysore:

1. Swimming in a river

I have never been in a river before. The water was warm and the current was strong.

2. Climbing the Western Ghat mountains to reach the MeenMutty Water Falls

Going down the mountain was more arduous than going up. Thank God for Michael (a MCC student) for helping me down the mountain and the park ranger for helping me up. The waterfalls were gorgeous; pictures cannot capture its beauty.   

3. Being harassed by wild trash monkeys

India’s wild trash monkeys look cute and innocent from a distant, but up close they are menacing little creatures. The worst part about them is that they do not fear humans. These monkeys will hiss at you, take your food, and invade your bus. They have no qualms about taking bags either; so never lay your bag down, even if it’s inches from you. This was my first time seeing wild monkeys that were not a part of a zoo. I freaked out when the monkeys started hissing at me; it was scary but amusing at the same time. Coming face to face with wild trash monkeys made it seem like I was in the movie Jumanji.

4. Visiting Mysore

In Mysore, I toured the city and visited the famous Mysore Palace. Besides the Mysore Palace, the city is known for its sandalwood and silk.

Mysore is also where I had my first bartering experience. I have to admit, I made a few good deals. A vendor, for example, tried to sell me a wooden recorder for 350 rupees ($7). At the end of the transaction I got three recorders and a toy snake for 100 rupees ($2).  

5. Hanging out with the MCC students

It was nice to get to know my classmates better. We worshipped together and had tons of laughs and interesting conversations. This trip brought me close to them.

6. Enjoying the beauty of Wayanad and Mysore

It is gorgeous out here.
















1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Thanks for sharing a nice article, Planning for any trip and sort of money, Claim your Instant travel loan online up to 15,00,000 with the least documentation. And, get Instant Travel loan with the low-interest rate at Buddy Loan in India. Apply now: https://www.buddyloan.in
    Get Instant Travel Loan Online at Buddy Loan

    ReplyDelete